Friday, September 25, 2009

Tale Of Two Cities – Epilogue (A long December)

According to my calendar Summer has officially ended. This past March I had envisioned spending it differently than I did. As Monty says “no one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition”.

Exactly 4 months and 1 day after being injured I made my return to the “scene of the crime”. I was fortunate enough to not be alone (thanks Whore-hito). With sweaty palms and shaky knees through the first 4 holes I persevered.

When I reached the 5th hole the best I could muster was some nervous laughter. My heart was pounding and I can remember times when it’s been easier to breathe. I bogied the hole and went on to shoot a 91 for the day.

The fact that I shot one of my better scores period on a course that had so much personally tragic history surrounding it is pretty monumental. To say that this particular dragon has been slain is an understatement.

Alas, since that day, my golf game has been decidedly shitty but life goes on. What has changed (again) is my perspective on life in general and golf in particular. I’d really like to play better. But if I never do I may just be ok with that. The fact that am still able to play means more to me than I can express.

So tonight I will reflect back on the last few months with a long draw of Scotch. I’ll drink to both the good and the bad because somehow I’m better for all of this having happened.

Besides…next year will be tons better. Right!?

No comments: