Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Over the last two weeks a lot has been said about whether or not Senator Obama is plagiarizing bits of his very popular speeches. His answer has been that he has indeed borrowed (with permission) certain passages from a friend of his. Now while I don't see much wrong with this it made the news enough to be of some import to someone. But if you don't believe that plagiarism is something that occurs all throughout a political campaign you are horribly wrong.

Last week Hillary released what has to be her most successful campaign ad yet. I say this because it seems to have swayed a lot of voters both in Ohio and Texas. At least enough for her to continue her battle for the White House. I know that a lot of you have seen it already but it's short so I give it to you again.



It's a good ad. It doesn't come right out and say it but the inference is obvious. It clearly says that you want me (Hillary) picking up the phone at 3 am and not my opponent. But here's the problem. The ad looked a little too familiar to me. Now there is absolutely no sane reason for me to remember this but I've been interested in politics for so long that I can't help it. Back in March of 1984 Walter Mondale was running in the Democratic Primary against Gary Hart (who by the way, later lost to Bill Clinton in 1991). Mondale went on to win the Democratic Nomination but lose to the incumbent president at the time Ronald Reagan.

So just to be clear with the facts here I'll restate them again. The month was March. The contest was once again the Democratic Party Primary. And oh by the way the man currently supervising Hillary's ad strategy is a guy by the name of Roy Spence. Roy Spence was also the brain child for a similar ad in 1984 when he worked for...drum roll please...Walter Mondale. Here's Mondale's ad.



I'll let you be the judge but it seems to me that you really shouldn't accuse someone of plagiary when you're doing it yourself.

No comments: