Saturday, September 8, 2007

Drink Of The Week


In honor of the first week of the NFL season I thought I'd bring back the DOTW. And since I've got it set in my head what I'm going to have tomorrow at The Winchester I proudly announce that the DOTW is...

THE BLOODY MARY

The Bloody Mary was created back during the opening stages of World War 2. Most date it to the 1939 time frame but there is apparently some controversy as to who invented it. What's most important to me about this tasty beverage is the ease with which it can be made. You can purchase a Bloody Mary Mix at just about any of the local grocery stores. Combine that with Vodka and viola you're done.

The latest listing of ingredients looks like this:
Tomato Juice
Vodka
Tobasco
Worcestershire Sause
Salt
Pepper
Horse Radish (optional)

The orginal recipe was simply Tomato Juice and Vodka. Your local pub will charge $4 - $6.

My tip of the day is that if you're making it at home see if you can get your hands on some Celery Salt. It's healthier (about a third of the sodium) but you won't lose any of the salty taste. Celery Salt also goes really well on popcorn, steaks, pork, chicken...hell just about anything you can think of putting salt in you can use it instead.

One last thing...for the love of all that is holy don't drink one after 6pm. That's just wrong.

No comments: