Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Drink of the week




Here's something I've been wanting to do for quite a while now. A weekly (hopefully) series of drinks that are worth trying at least once if you have the "noive". Things I promise (most of the time, sort of) to provide in these little segments are:


  1. The name of the tasty beverage,

  2. How to make it (when applicable), and

  3. The expected retail cost.

I will admit that my company provides products to many an alcoholic beverage producer and I'm not above pimping out the name of these items. But for the first installment I'm going with something a little closer to my heart...Scotch. More specifically...


Oban 14 years


Oban 14 Year Old Scotch Whisky.(Eighty-six Proof)This distillery in the Western Highlands is close to Islay, but does not have the heaviness and peatiness usually associated with Islay whiskies. This single malt whiskey has a fresh, delicate hint of peat in its aroma, and its flavorful palate impression has a smooth and pleasing finish.


I stumbled across this while the Admiral and I were at her annual (and my obligatory) "hurray fantasy football season is over" steak dinner. These dinners always run me about $300 and provide an excellent incentive to do well during the season. But I digress.


Cyemm (cyemm.blogspot.com)and I were at the restaurant bar when we noticed the bottle on the shelf and decided to try a couple of fingers worth. Yum. The description above is dead on. When you first get it you smell the peat right off. Being a middle year scotch I was worried that it would also have that typical overly woody taste that usually follows. I was pleasently surprised on my first sip and have loved it ever since.


Named for and distilled in Oban, which is about 3 hours away from Glasgow, a couple of fingers of this will usually run you about $11 depending on where you're ordering it. A bottle at the local liquor store should cost you around $80 - $90. If you're of the mind to order it at your local establishment I beg you to drink it "neat". Don't ruin the experience by mixing it with soda or water and do try to avoid having it "on the rocks". Above all, take your time, sip it and enjoy.

No comments: