Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Flask Etiquette for Dummies


So while having dinner with a Customer this evening I mentioned that the flask I keep in my golf bag needs to be replaced. I'm not positive but I don't think it's keeping a proper seal and it tends to leak. Losing that much Scotch is always a bad thing. He replied with a story about how he gave his wife a flask many years ago back when they were still dating. I remained silent waiting to hear if he'd offered the gift properly. He went on to say he filled it with her favorite drink to which I began to smile and nod my approval of his flask etiquette. So I asked him, "What'd ya put in it?" His response mortified me. It was some sort of fruity concoction that consisted of orange juice and a few other ingredients mixed in with vodka. Had he been a friend of mine I would have berated him endlessly but since he was a Customer I did what I could to quickly change the subject before saying something I'd regret.

People, people, I implore you! Show some compassion. There are rules to giving a flask to someone as a gift. There aren't many rules but by God they should be followed.

  1. Never give an empty flask to someone as a gift. This may strike some of you as a no brainer but trust me it happens all the time. Please note that it is acceptable to give an empty flask to a loved one if they are present at time of purchase.
  2. Never fill the gift flask with something other than hard alcohol. Please, if you must fill it with a mixed drink it should be something akin to a Martini. Any other drink that consists solely of hard liquer is acceptable. By no means should anything with fruit be used. And for the love of God never ever fill it with a dairy or creme liquer.
  3. Lastly, the gift flask should never be wrapped. If you must wrap it please put it in an appropriate sized box. Ideally the flask will be given to the loved one with a simple ribbon or bow attached to it.

There you have it folks. Three very simple and easy to remember rules. Nevermind that the Admiral says that its unfair of me to expect you to follow them if I'm making them up on the spot. Solid rules such as these should be obvious to all of us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know know what to get you for your birthday. An empty flask in a large box with a bottle of Pina Colada mix all wrapped up with a big bow!

Anonymous said...

HA!

Anonymous said...

So I ordered five flasks and filled all five of them with different types of hard alcohol. 1. I ordered two more and the directions in the box say Rinse the inside with clean water before filling the flask for the first time: fail. 2. Do not keep alcohol in the flask longer than a period of 3 days: also fail. Will the alcohol still be good when I give it as a gift to my groomsman in a month?