Wednesday, July 25, 2007

One mans art is another mans what the f@ck?!?!?!?!



So this qualifies as a great big head scratcher. Cy Twombly is an abstract artist that has been in his field for well over 50 years. He has his own gallery in New York and his numerous works have been on display in some fairly prominent places. On the list are the Venice Biennale in Italy, the Milwaukee Art Center, the Kunsthaus Zurich and the Musee National d'Art Moderne in Paris. His works have also been displayed in Houston L.A. and Berlin. If there's a big fancy museum somewhere he's been in it.

I myself, have been to none of these exhibits and after reading this story I don't care to. As the saying goes, "I don't know much about art but I know what I like". I digress.

A few days ago in France, at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Avignon, a woman was arrested for putting lipstick on one of Twombly's "paintings". Sam Rindy claims that she was so overcome by the piece that she had to kiss it. Given only this piece of info one could surely see why the museum would have a problem with what she did. My problem is not with Ms. Rindy. My problem is with Twombly and the museum.

You see the piece of art that was marred by the adoring fan was nothing more than a plain white canvas. To be fair it was a large plain white canvas (about nine feet by six) but just the same it was blank. I turned in a paper once like that and was told that if I wanted to pass the course I should start taking it more seriously. Twombly gets his piece of shit hung on a wall where it is currently valued at an estimated $2 million dollars. TWO MILLION FUCKING BUCKS!!! Are you insane?!?!?!?

Seriously?!? Am I the only one that believes he had some sort of mental block and just said, "here you go, here's my latest piece" all the while thinking to himself "fuck it, I don't give a shit anymore"? And these assholes bought into it.

Sigh...

No comments: