Saturday, February 7, 2009

Brand New Key


Today is the openning day for Season 5 of the Rat City Roller Girls. Whenver I talk to folks about RCRG I get the same typical responses.

I remember roller derby from when I was a kid...

I didn't think people still did/watched that sort of thing...

Really? No kidding? (said with a holier than though sort of tone)

All in all I don't really care because this is solid entertainment and I sort of like being in on the ground floor. Hell, I'm even a season ticket holder. Unlike some of the other sporting events that folks are more familiar with, being an RCRG Season Ticket holder is affordable. For just over $100 with tax you're in.

And the best part about RCRG, outside of the scenery, is that these girls do this for no money whatsoever. Remember when the NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL players played because they just loved the sport and not because of the huge fat checks they were getting? Me neither. There are no hold outs for more money. They do it because they love it plain and simple.

Our young adolescent women could do worse for role models than a bunch of girls in roller skates and pads whoopin up on each other because they love what they're doing.

The Dollyrots

1 comment:

Single-n-San Fran said...

I have a "fun" story involving roller derby girls and my hot tub.....but this was back in Iowa!! :)