Wednesday, February 11, 2009

In Space No One Can Hear You Scream


About a year or so ago my buddy Tim asked a great question. It was something that he and some of his coworkers had been discussing. The question at the time was, “if you had to recast the role of Indiana Jones today, who would you pick”. We did a very lax polling and ultimately the winner was Ryan Reynolds.

The other names that came up were pretty typical and all in all it worked out to be pretty interesting. Enough so that I thought we’d try it again. Only this time with a different icon altogether.


So here it is.


If you had to recast the role of Ellen Ripley who would you pick? There are some names that come to mind for me so I’ll throw a couple out there. If you have other’s you’d like to submit for a later poll please do so. Here are a few of the ones that I like for consideration.



Summer Glau
She is an obvious choice. Almost too obvious in fact. She’s well known in the Sci Fi circles and this will help to instantly put butts in the seats.

Olivia Wilde
She hasn’t been in much but I think that is to her credit. After all what did Sigourney Weaver do prior to playing Ripley? As a relatively unknown (at least to Sci Fi fans) she could burst on the scene and be an instant hit. Also she’s young enough to continue the franchise.

Dakota Fanning
She’s the only blonde on this list and I’m not sure that I have a problem with it. Also I have yet to see her in a role that she didn’t excel at. Yeah I know she’s still really young but the kid can flat out act.


Ellen Page


Think about it. She brings her own level of spunk and self assuredness to any role she plays. Too be honest, I’m of the opinion that if she’d been born 20 years earlier the role might have been hers from the get go.
So there’s my initial list. Please feel free to comment and add other names for consideration.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a very young list, my friend. Sigourney Weaver was 31 when she played Ripley the first time. Not that it matters to me, just thought that was an interesting fact. Here are a few more ladies to ponder over:

First choices:
Charlize Theron – My first choice for the role. One of the best actresses in Hollywood today due to the fact she is attractive and smart.
Kate Winslet – Strong actress with plenty of versatility.
Jennifer Aniston – Just kidding. She couldn’t act her way out of a paper bag.
Sandra Bullock – I’m sure I am going to get sh*t for suggesting her, but once in a blue moon she can pull off a character perfectly. I think this would one of those characters for her.

Could possibly do a great job as Ripley:
Amy Adams – She is on this list because she is a redhead (duh), oh and must be a good actress because of some Academy Award nomination or something.
Marg Helgenberger – She just seems that serious woman that kicks-a$$ and chews bubble gum. I don’t think there is a lot of bubble gum in space.
Zooey Deschanel – I have no real logic on why she is on No logic on this choice, I just keep coming back to her as a good choice.

I could go on and on with names and styles, but I’m sure this will become a heated topic over the next few days. Let the flogging begin.

And that is why I hate the French!

Unknown said...

A choice from a co-worker: Carrie Ann Moss.