Friday, February 6, 2009

Top 5 TV Shows


I’ve encountered a lot of chatter lately about the evils of TV and how much better than me those without one are. There are always a lot of reasons given for this. It rots the brain – there’s nothing good on anymore – or the amount of good shows on, compared to the number of channels isn’t worth it – it’s too damn expensive (a solid reason by the way) – you should read more instead – all of these shows are available online.

This list goes on.

Now I’m one of those folks that 15 or so years ago would have publicly supported the above statements while privately loving TV. I was a closet TV lover and I was ashamed. This is what happens when you spend an inordinate amount of time around book stores and book lovers (some of my favorite people btw).

Well I’m out of the TV closet now and I’m a big fan. When I’m sick and at home it provides me with mindless entertainment. It has something there for every mood and it easily keeps all the voices in my head content. I love TV and I don’t care what you think about my addiction.

So here now are my Top 5 TV shows that haven’t been cancelled…

Damages
The show is currently in the beginning stages of Season 2. Season 1 had one of the most gripping storylines I’ve ever encountered. The show starts in the middle of an epic story and works its way both forwards and backwards with some cleverly inserted flashbacks. It stars Glenn Close (no introduction necessary), Rose Byrne (the only stand out role that I can recall is Troy), Tate Donovan, William Hurt (Season 2), and Ted Danson (Season 1)

Survivor
I’ve lost count by now on how many seasons this show has had (I think they’re working on number 19 now). This is The Reality TV show. No matter who’s on it, it displays the human condition at its best (and worst). I know that Orb and a few others have never cared for the show but 19 seasons of “the tribe has spoken” have officially infiltrated our culture. Even if you haven’t ever seen the show you know how it works. They send a group of men and women to a remote location for a camping trip on ‘roids. Early on in each season tribes compete against each other in challenges for both rewards and for immunity. At the end of each episode someone is voted off of the island. At the end of the season one person is voted the sole survivor and awarded a check for 1 million dollars. Oh the lies people will tell for a million bucks. This is entertainment at its finest for me. The photo is of Parvarti Shallow and she was the winner of Survivor: Micronesia.

Californication
I’ve posted about this show in the past but it’s worth repeating how much I love it. It is such a good show that I increased my cable bill just so I could watch it. Starring David Duchovney and Natasha McElhone, it is the story of an irreverent writer that is trying to find himself in L.A. Not an easy task when you have a teenage daughter and an ex that you’re still pining for. He has a severe drinking problem, but this is nothing compared to the relationship (read sexual escapades) problems he get’s himself into each episode. If you haven’t seen an unedited episode of this show you’re missing out.

Burn Notice
Let me tell you a story. When a spy get’s fired they cut him off. They burn him. His name is Michael Weston and he has been given his Burn Notice. In his own words this means that he’s been fired. His accounts have been frozen so he has no money and he’s been left stranded in whatever town the folks that burned him have seen fit to drop him in. When this happens to a spy you rely on anyone that will talk to you. This includes an old buddy that is willing to inform on you to the FBI (Bruce Campbell) and a trigger happy ex girlfriend (Gabrielle Anwar). The entire show is narrated by Michael (Jeffery Donovan) and also occasionally stars Tricia Helfer (of Battlestar Galactic) and Michael Shanks (Stargate SG1).

Battlestar Galactica
At this particular moment there is not a better show on TV. You may dispute this. Go ahead. Knock yourself out but you’ll still be wrong. The show has captured the fascination of at least 4 out of 5 viewers and when it ends two months from now there will be a huge vacuum. The first 3 and a half seasons were spent following a similar story line as the original series…the search for Earth. As for the last half of the final season…you’ll just have to watch for yourself.

There are probably other shows out there that the rest of you feel deserves to be on the list. Some of you might prefer The Office, or Monk. My Name Is Earl seems to have a big following. There are the C.S.I.’s and any one of the Law and Orders. I know someone that just loves the show N3mbers. Family Guy is loved by many and The Simpson’s have been on TV since before 1990. And there are definitely others.

But this is my list so gigiddy-gigiddy, gigiddy-goo! (A co-worker got me started on saying this and I can’t stop.)

And for those of you wondering how the bet with Iowa Rob is going...good guys are up by 2




1 comment:

Single-n-San Fran said...

Nice work...brother.....but your top 5 shows is exactly why I don't have/need a tv!! :)